About the Bellevue Chamber Chorus
Founded in 1984 in Bellevue, Washington, and led by Artistic Director, Ben Luedcke, Bellevue Chamber Chorus exists to bring beauty and artistic inspiration to the community through the choral arts. The chorus – consisting of 28–30 auditioned singers of diverse backgrounds – performs 3 major concerts each season, encompassing a variety of choral literature from classical standards and contemporary works, to “world music”, Broadway hits, and vocal jazz.
The chorus often joins other ensembles in performances of major choral/orchestral works, such as:
- Mozart: Vespers and Requiem
- Faure: Requiem
- Verdi: Requiem
- Handel: Messiah
- Orff: Carmina Burana
- Brahms: A German Requiem
- Rutter: Mass of the Children
- Ramirez: Misa por la Paz y la Justicia (Mass for Peace and Justice)
- Commissioned works for the Washington State Centennial Celebration
- The grand opening of the Theatre at Meydenbauer Center
- A special 20th anniversary season commissioned piece, “That Music Always Round Me” by Seattle composer, John Muehleisen
- Participation in commissioning consortiums for works by Andre Thomas, Eric Whitacre, and Ola Gjeilo
- “Timeframes” (2000)
- “Retrospective: 20th Anniversary Season” (2005)
- “Christmas Visions, Winter Dreams” (2013) – available for purchase
9-minute CD sample
- Carnegie Hall, New York City
- Salzburg Cathedral, Salzburg, Austria
- Plaza San Marco, Venice, Italy
- The Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia
- The Kathaumixw International Choral Festival in Powell River, British Columbia, winning 1st Place in the Adult Mixed Chorus Category in 2008 (see our press release)
- In the Provence and Aveyron areas of France, as part of the Festival International Choral en Provence
- The Leavenworth International Choral Festival
- The international “Rolling Requiem” in memory of September 11
- One of the regional choruses in the NEA-sponsored American Masterpieces Choral Festival in Seattle
- Part of the Okanogan Choral Society’s concert series in Kelowna, B.C.
- One of six choirs performing in a special GSCC event “Welcome Home Morten Lauridsen”
- Approximately half of our members have been singing with us for at least 10 years.
- The Mayor of the City of Bellevue, Washington, proclaimed May 30, 2009 as Bellevue Chamber Chorus Day 2009.
- The Mayor of the City of Bellevue, Washington, proclaimed April 14, 2019 as Bellevue Chamber Chorus Day 2019.
- We are one of five Eastside choral groups that sponsor the annual Eastside Sings sing-along program.